Land Between the Lakes (LBL)

Not far from where we live in Kentucky, is the largest inland peninsula in the U.S. and is known as Land Between the Lakes (i.e. LBL). This area has over 170,000 acres of forested and protected public land, and over 300 miles of undeveloped shoreline. 

My pictures feature the native habitat of elk and bison which were lost to the area over a century ago, but have now been brought back to the area. 

We visited LBL in late fall and saw the elk which are the largest species in the deer family. The male elk have antlers they shed each year.



Elk feed on grasses, plants, leaves and bark like you see the female elk doing below. 



Bison in this prairie area are massive animals with long, shaggy brown coats. 




Did you know that bison have poor eyesight but acute hearing and an excellent sense of smell. 



These female elk are on the move.




It was a nice drive into this prairie in our vehicle. Entrance is limited to cars and truck and visitors are prohibited from feeding or approaching any of the animals. 



Thanks for stopping in for another day of Life in Kentucky - Judy.


Linking to:

Amaze Me Monday @ Dwellings
Met Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Mosaic Monday @ Lavendar Cottage

Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods

Our World @ Our World Tuesday Meme

Outdoor Wednesday @ A Southern Daydreamer

Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern

Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life

Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have A Cup of Mrs. Olson

Photo Friday @ Pierced Wonderings

Saturday's Critters @ Viewing Nature with Eileen



12 comments:

  1. You can imagine the snort from the bison. Great up close shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the last bison shot especially. Great photos and how lucky u are to live next to so much nature and undeveloped land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing place! Wow, I would love to spend some time there. Your photos are really great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that part of Ky. There is a herd of bison as you near Bowling Green Ky. too near Horse Cave Ky. You have some great photos here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen this part of Kentucky. Oh well. Someday. Like your post this week a lot.
    JM

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fun post / I loved this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when I learn something new from a blog post. I don't know much about Kentucky and certainly knew nothing about the peninsula.

    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are introducing me to your state of which I know little about.. Thank you for that... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. great photos! Feels like i could reach out and touch them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE bison & I have always wanted to visit Land Between the Lakes! Hopefully someday soon. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I am didn't know there were elk and bison on that part of the country. What a pleasant surprise to learn about the Land Between the Lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love LBL! I used to camp there every fall - usually, accidentally the first weekend of the deer hunting season. I remember one year it was down into the 20s at night, and the dog crawled under the down comforter and into the sleeping bag with me! I haven't been in many years - 6? I think. I need to get back up there this fall. Thanks for reminding me of how much I love that area of the country!

    ReplyDelete