Barns, Blooms, and Birds - Wk 9

Continuing my series . . . 


Barns . . . 


Wow, do I have a tobacco barn for you this week. My husband and I were driving around Calloway County in Kentucky looking for a specific address of a boat marine to possibly get out boat serviced. As we were driving on Pottertown Road, I saw an unusual tobacco barn just off the road. It was not the typical shaped tobacco barn that I have shared with you over the weeks. It wasn't like any of these below.



We ventured on and found the marine and as we started back, I told my husband I wanted to stop and take a few pics of the unusual tobacco barn. Take a look:



It was like an old log cabin at first glance and was right in the owner's backyard. It had no extensions or extra rooms, it just went straight up. There were probably rows or levels to hang the tobacco on the inside.



Although it was unusual, it had barn doors, with a log keeping the doors shut just like other tobacco barns. 


I saw a small window at the top and an open ventilation system on the side also at the top. 

Traffic was coming up and down this narrow county road with no shoulder and there I was trying to get pics with my iPhone. 

OK, it was time to move on before I got hit by a car. But what do you think about this tobacco barn?


On to blooms now . . .


I have a pot of beautiful begonias blooming by my porch. I must admit, I haven't done much for these begonias other than give them water. They do sit in a shady area of my front yard.


Overlooking the begonias is a cherub sitting on the edge of the porch.  I have had her for several years and several house moves. That's a holly branch you see in the pic. 


You may remember the "Little Lime" that I shared last week.



Take a look at the changes the gorgeous flowers have made in just a week. Amazing! It started to "pink up." 







Now for birds . . .


The small downy woodpecker let me take a few pics of him this week. He comes to my upside-down suet feeder daily.




The finches are always fun to watch at the feeders.




That's a goldfinch, the male house finch, and the female house finch below.



I took these pics of the Red-Tailed Hawk at The Nature Station of Land Between the Lakes where birds are protected and cared for because of injury, being orphaned, or losing their natural fear of humans. 


I read that the Red-Tailed Hawk is the most common hawk in North America. 



You may see one circling in an open field with his eyes fixed on the ground looking for a vole or rabbit for lunch. 

There you have it, another week of Barns, Blooms, and Birds. Thanks for stopping by - Judy.


Linking to:


Amaze Me Monday @ Dwellings
Met Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Mosaic Monday @ Normandy Life on Sunday evening
Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods on Monday
ABC Wednesday on Monday

Our World @ Our World Tuesday Meme
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life on Tuesday
The Scoop @ StoneGable Blog
You're Gonna Love It Tuesday @ Kathe With an E
Wednesday Around the World @ Photographing New Zealand

Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern on Tuesday evening

Outdoor Wednesday @ A Southern Daydreamer
Wild Bird Wednesday @ Paying Ready Attention Gallery
Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods
Floyd Family Homestead on Wednesday

Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have A Cup of Mrs. Olson on Wed. evenings 
Share Your Style Link Party @ 21 Rosemary Lane on Wed. evenings

Share Your Style Link Party @ The Essence of Home on Thursday evening
Simple & Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme

Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Simple & Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme on Wednesday evening
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have A Cup of Mrs. Olson
Foodie Friday & Everything Else @ Rattlebridge Farm on Thursday evening

Photo Friday @ Pierced Wonderings
Skywatch Friday @ Skyley


Saturday's Critters @ Viewing Nature with Eileen on Saturday
Camera Critters on Saturday
I'd Rather Be Birdin' on Saturday at noon

Tom's Barn Collective @ The Backroad Traveler on Sunday
Table It Link Party @ Life and Linda
Inspiration Monday @ Our Southern Home
Dishing It and Digging It @ Rustic & Refined on Sundays




19 comments:

  1. You certainly found an unusual tobacco farm in Kentucky. All the flowers you posted were absolutely beautiful. All the birds were in focus and close up were excellent.
    JM, IL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do find the most interesting barns your way..Not to many where I live.... I love begonias but I didn't get any this year. And I love your birds...I get the same ones here and feed the same type of suet feeder....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. the flowers are all lovely and I adore that little chereb but your bird shots are smashing

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an unique tobacco barn. They are so different looking than the ones I am used to seeing in Connecticut, when I go to visit my siblings.
    Your Little Lime hydrangeas are gorgeous!
    I believe that the red-tail is the most common hawk in the US...we have many here. I have counted over a hundred on our 50 mile drive from home to my husband's cousin's. I often see them in our back yard circling looking for a snack!
    Have a great week, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must have been a small crop that used that barn. Your flowers and birds are beautiful, of course. Love your style of shooting them and your presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy,
    Your newest Tobacco Barn almost appears to be something from past decades!
    Unique, indeed!
    Your hydrangea are gorgeous!
    Keep your hawks. .. "Mr. Ed" and I finally have a Resident Bunny in our Gardens!
    Thanks for sharing. . .and do practice "caution" when photographing, dear friend!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must look back at my only photo of a hawk to see if this is what it was... many months back now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an unusual barn!
    Love the birds and blooms, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know much about tobacco barns but I love this. Talk about a blast from the past!!!! Your begonias are pretty, mine did well too in the shade with a little morning sun. Love the sweet cherub, we do like them here too. Lovely bird pics. Great post...........

    ReplyDelete
  10. we have a ton of these hawks where i live. Such pretty birds.
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/08/texas-sheet-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful photos - the birds are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy, that is a cute little building. The birds and flowers are great also. I'm glad you got the photos and no dings. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy, I love this series that you do. Amazing tobacco barn. and the flowers and birds are gorgeous! My Limelight is starting to take on a little pink as well. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, great barn find. The begonias and hydrangea are lovely. Love the woodie and birds. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You take wonderful photos! And your hawk has such nice markings! Love that little woodpecker too! Beautiful...each and every photo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome barns, especially the tobacco barn. Great flowers and lovely birds, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello!:) The cabin style Tobacco barn was a cool find. I like it, and also like your bird, and flower photos. The cherub is sweet!:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What do I think of the tobacco barn? Well let me tellya....it's marvelous. I've never seen any like this before. A special treat.
    And your flowers are super. For the birds? Well, you know me, I LOVE birds. And your photos are super stunning. So clear, crisp and well composed. I love the entire post!!!

    Glad to see you didn't get hit by a car tho!! [but I do the same thing]...my motto "I Brake for Birds".

    I'm a bit behind visiting this week 'cause of the holiday, so forgive me. Thanks for adding your blog to the linking tool at I'd Rather B Birdin'

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a great barn collection, I like the weathered ones the best. Barns with quilt blocks are always a treat to find. Thanks for the visit, hurry on back!

    ReplyDelete