They Belong to the Road

The weather is great here today in Western Missouri, the sun is shining and it is 82 degrees. What more could you want? Well, I wanted some daffodils for a tablescape I was working on. They make an "ideal" centerpiece. My husband agreed to take me for a drive in the country and look for daffodils. Here's what I found:



I have such a cute story to share with you about the daffodils so please follow along.




We weren't having much luck finding any daffodils until we passed a very  elderly man and woman who were cutting up tree limbs and burning them in the ditch across the road from their house.



Then just past the fence that marked their property, there were several clumps of daffodils and they were blooming. I was excited, at last daffodils next to the road.



We drove along the road a little further, turned the car around and headed back to ask about the flowers. I got out of the car and the woman walked over to me; I asked if the daffodils past the fence were hers and she said "no, they belong to the road." I simply smiled and asked if I could take some pictures and cut a few for my table. She agreed and mentioned I could dig some if I had a shovel.


I was glad I wore my rubber boots because it was muddy around the daffodils. I took my pictures and cut a few flowers. I had no shovel nor did I want to dig. I was just thrilled to get the flowers.


We stopped back by, I rolled down the window and thanked her for the flowers even though they "belonged to the road."


I was very quiet on the way home as I thought about her phrase "they belong to the road," and I knew I wanted to include the story in my post. I hope you enjoyed the story along with the daffodils - Judy.

Posting to:
Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday
Denise at ABC Wednesday
Bunny Jean for Wednesday's Bunny Hop

Judy at DIY by Design for Winter Blues WednesdayPaula and Patti at Ivy and Elephants for What Is It Wednesday

Danette at The Shady Porch for Rock and Share Wednesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at DIY by Design for Winter Blues Wednesday
Danette at The Shady Porch for Rock and Share Wednesday
Primp Your Stuff Wednesday
Amy at Home Happy Home for Whimsy Wednesday
Mrs. Hines Class for Show and Tell Wednesday
Katherines Corner
Cozy Home Scenes for Your Cozy Home Party 
Jenny Matlock at Alphabe Thursday - Letter Q 
Scenic Sunday
Honey at 2805 for Potpourri Friday
Becca at Home is Where My Story Begins for Home and Family Friday
Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Rachelle at Fingerprints on the Fridge for Feature Yourself Friday
Jen at Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party
Sharing at How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday

35 comments:

  1. I love that "they belong to the road". I have been so tempted to do the same thing you did, but our roads with daffodils are actually INTERSTATES. I don't want to die for them. Thanks for sharing such a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely spring post. I love daffodils..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the cute little story about the flowers...so sweet ..and the flowers are wonderful...you will never find flowers like that beside road here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will always remember this post whenever I see the vacant lots with the daffodils blooming, once planted and tended by loving hands, and now "belonging to the road". I, too, have been a picker of the forgotten daffodils and brought them to my home to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love daffodils and your story "they belong to the road" is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy!

    What a sweet story! There are still many places that have wild flowers growing along side the road. The Daffodils must have been from an old vacant home site. Glad you took some and left some 'for the road'.

    Thanks for sharing this at my party.

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hit 70 in Albany, NY, tied the record high for the date.
    Pretty flowers!

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see my daffodils too.

    ABC Wed

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a sweet story. In Oregon it is a huge fine if you cut flowers near the road. So I guess in some states they really do belong to the road! My daffodils are blooming now. So fun to have flowers to bring into the house again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful story.. I really think, no matter
    who plants, they all belong to the Earth.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are all here for a time sharing....Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes they do make "ideal" centerpieces. We have 3 patches of them growing in our yard. Love to see them out my window all cheery.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great story! I have lots of daffodils blooming right now and more about to bloom...I love spotting wildflowers along the road...special!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is an awesome story and I will always remember it when I see flowers growing by the side of the road anywhere!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful daffodils that "belong to the road" (love that!). I recently saw some little purple flowers that obviously belonged to the road -- don't know what they were, but they were so pretty and cheerful. Wish that I'd had my camera with me!
    Thanks for stopping by -- I'm following and hope you'll come back and follow me! (your comment said you did, but apparently it didn't take!)
    Here's to more daffodils along the road!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful daffodils.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  17. Judy, your photo caught my eye on Wow us Wednesdays. It reminded me of my grandmother's front yard, where daffodils grew randomly...even along the road. Thanks for the memory! I am a new follower! patsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is such a cute story and the daffodils are so pretty. I am new to your blog and am glad that I found it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia, I can't seem to get to your blog and visit.

      Delete
  19. Lovely story, the road into my town is lined with daffodils. My favourites are the ones in a nearby valley which are the true wild ones, always the last to appear, the town ones are always the first, its a way of measuring springs journey.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely story. With Spring still a week away, it showed yesterday! One year, actually the first year we lived in England, it snowed on Easter Monday. That was the latest I ever remember. I have a picture of snow on the daffodils in my back garden.
    Thanks for inviting me to become a follower. I'm happy to do so, and I'm including your blog on my Google Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awww, nothing like a sweet country tale:) And a reminder of how we should all see nature...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very sweet story and such lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Daffodils always remind me of my sweet mother-in-law....she loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that. And I love daffodils...I always know that spring is on its way...still winter here for a bit longer, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved your story and your daffodils. I love daffodils but they don't love growing in my garden...I don't know why because I seem to grow everything else. Guess I have to find me a "road" and take a shovel...smile. I am already a follower. Enjoy your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! how fun! Love this story and love daffodils! We don't have any here in Honduras but they are absolutely one of my favorite flowers! (daisies at #1) It's so special to take time to talk with those we see along our way - if nothing else, to hear sweet words like this! Love me a good 'road' story! *new follower* thanks to Rock N Share. Come visit my road anytime ... Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this story so much. They belong to the road, how perfect. A beautiful way to welcome spring. Hugs and happy weekend wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are so pretty. Have a fabulous week.

    Yellow Heart
    Cheese Steak

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was beautiful.

    I love that phrase...and it will come to mind now whenever I see flowers that 'belong to the road'.

    Thank you for sharing this quite lovely link.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  30. very pretty yellow flowers :-) wish we have those on our roads too :-( Visiting from MYM, hope that you can return a yellow visit too.

    http://www.homecookingwithjessy.com/little-bites-banana-muffin/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete