Barns, Blooms and Birds

I'm covering a few topics today in my post. Since I moved to Kentucky in November, I have been fascinated by the old tobacco barns. This one is a local barn in the Murray area. I love the painted barn quilt. 



I attended the Memorial Day service at the Mound City, Illinois, National Cemetery to honor fallen soldiers. The skies were overcast and it even rained right before the service began. Then it stopped and held off until after the service.





The magnolias are blooming here in Western Kentucky and the blooms are huge.



The Stella D'Oro Daylilies are blooming in my front beds. 



I'm seeing Momma birds and their babies at my feeders now. Momma grossbeak on the left and right behind her is baby grossbeak on a branch.






Thanks for stopping by for another day of Life in Kentucky - Judy. 


Linking to: 

Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods on Monday

Our World @ Our World Tuesday Meme
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life on Tuesday
The Scoop @ StoneGable Blog
You're Gonna Love It Tuesday @ Kathe With an E

Outdoor Wednesday @ A Southern Daydreamer
Wild Bird Wednesday @ Paying Ready Attention Gallery
Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern

Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Simple & Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme 
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have A Cup of Mrs. Olson
Foodie Friday & Everything Else @ Rattlebridge Farm

Photo Friday @ Pierced Wonderings
Skywatch Friday @ Skyley


Saturday's Critters @ Viewing Nature with Eileen on Saturday
Camera Critters on Saturday
I'd Rather Be Birdin' on Saturday

Tom's Barn Collective @ The Backroad Traveler on Sunday

23 comments:

  1. Love the painted quilt on the barn. I know it is fun exploring Kentucky since moving there. Your beds are looking lovely, I have the same day lilies only mine have almost bloomed out now. Have a great week…...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, great photos. I like the quilt barn, daylilies are beautiful. Nice shots of the grosbeaks. Have a happy day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, Judy. There were lots of really neat, old, tobacco barns in Connecticut that we sued to go by all the time.
    The magnolias are gorgeous.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt is such a striking and beautiful accent for the old building!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have quite a few of the barn quilts in our area. I am in Nelson Co. I have some photos I need to look up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our day lilies are in budding stage. Adore the quilt above the tobacco barn doors. I've never seen that! Although I have been to Ky and saw farmers putting their leaves in the barn for drying. It was very interesting! Take care. See you next week.
    JM, IL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love the grosbeaks and I am hoping we will see some babies this years...adorable...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have evening grosbeaks in the winter and occasionally a rose breasted but they're rare out here in the woods. One of my favorite parts of summer is seeing the fledglings. I always grin at the nearly full-sized baby blue jays begging from their parents.

    My Stella D'Oro is about 8" tall and a good month from blooming. It's nice to see yours!

    ReplyDelete

  9. Reading about western Kentucky almost made me homesick for Paducah since I lived there many years and my daughter was born in Western Baptist hospital in Paducah.
    I love the barn quilts and the one you pictured is wonderful on that old weathered barn.
    I may have to call my girlfriend in Paducah and tell her i'm coming down to drive the country to look at old barns with her

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy, The magnolia looks so luscious and elegant, the barn painting is a nice bright spot. Thanks for sharing. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The old tobacco barn is wonderful. Must have some stories to tell.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those baby Grossbeaks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That magnolia is like the epitome of what a magnolia should look like. They are by far my favorite flower. I loved them before I was married, but I love them even more now. At my wedding we had an armadillo grooms cake, in homage of Steel Magnolias, and now I'm reminded of it every time I see those beautiful flowers.

    I love the painted quilt on the barn too! I don't think I've ever seen that before. I'm stopping by from Photo Friday at Pierced Wanderings. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never seen something like the quilt barn before. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, I wanted to stop back and say thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the female grosbeak photos...but that magnolia blossom just shines beautifully on your blog post today. Wow.

    Thanks again for linking in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Judy, thanks for sharing this beautiful post. I've always liked tobacco barns with open slats for air circulation. The quilt block is a great touch. I have a Southern Magnolia here in Upstate New York. I hope that you will stop by again...enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read about the quilt patterns painted on barns, but have never seen one for myself. I think I'd like to do that if I had a barn!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is quite the barn and a beautiful quilt patch. I imagine Kentucky is quite the place to explore.
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the barn quilt. This one is exceptionally pretty...such vivid colors. Your flower shots are beautiful. This is such a pretty time of the year...and the birds are definitely out and about. They were very nice to let you take pictures of them. Have a happy week. genie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute birdies! "So that's where we get the seeds, momma?"
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely shots, Judy.
    Many thanks for taking part in the Floral Friday Fotos meme.

    ReplyDelete