Feed the Cardinals


I think we all start to think about the birds having enough food in Winter and since I love cardinals, displaying by Peggy Karr Cardinal plate always reminds me that I need to be sure and feed the cardinals in my backyard. Seeing those bright red feathers of the male cardinal is so stunning, I can't take my eyes off of them. They don't migrate so we need to pay special attention to them in the Winter. This long-trailed songbird has a very thick beak and whistles a sweet song. The females are pale brown with warm reddish tinges on her wings, tail and crest.










If you are looking for a feeder that cardinals will love, here are a couple of pictures:


Feeder images from: http://www.duncraft.com/. They like to eat black oil sunflower seed, safflower seeds or pieces of fruit.


Thanks for stopping by and remember to feed the cardinals - Judy.

Linked to:
The Tablescaper for Season Sundays
Mary at Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Cozy Home Scenes
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Kristin at My Uncommon Piece of Suburbia for Tuesday Treasures
Nick of Time Tuesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at DIY by Design for Winter Blues Wednesday
Paula and Patti at Ivy and Elephants for What’s It Wednesday
Danette at The Shady Porch for Rock and Share Wednesday
Kathleen at Faded Charm for White Wednesday
Michele at at Michele Raven Designs for Primp Your Stuff Wednesday
Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursday
Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursday
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Honey at 2805 for Potpourri Friday
Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Laurie Anna's Farm House Friday
Katherines Corner for Favorite Things Friday
Diann  at The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday


9 comments:

  1. I love cardinals, esp on wintry days when their vibrant red shows up so well. We've never had a bird feeder but since my cat died, hubby and I are ready to try a feeder. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure have some pretty cardinal plates Judy.
    the cardinals are at my feeders too and I need to refill them before dark.
    I love watching them out the patio door.

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have some red cardinals visit my bird feeder. Your plate is lovely. Thank you for linking to the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop Linky Party at Katherines Corner. Hugs and smooches and wishes for a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had hundred of yellow finches last winter. We thought it was because they loved the feed we set out. But, we haven't seen any this year.
    I love Cardinals. They are so cheerful. We have those in our back yard. I can always tell they are near. Once you've heard one you will remember that chirp always.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing cardinals against the snow. They are so bright and beautiful! Pretty cardinals you are sharing today. Thank you for joining TTF and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pics, so pretty. Your plate is wonderful and such a gorgeous vignette. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are a bird lover like me. I love feeding them in the winter too. Although we don't have many birds that come, usually there is one or two cardinals that hang around our house each winter. Their pop of red is always so nice to see on these dark days.

    I love your plate and the matching figurine makes a very lovely vignette perfect for this time of year!

    Thank you so much for linking to the "Your Cozy Home Party". I appreciate your participation and hope you will join us again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love cardinals! There is a pair that visit my yard and I always delight in seeing them. Your plate and the porcelain cardinal are lovely!
    (visiting from Knick of Time Tuesday)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this lovely post at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete