A Visit from the Purple Finch

I've been waiting for months to get a pic of the Purple Finch and today was my lucky day.





This six inch bird only visits my area of Western Kentucky in the Winter.



You can see the black oil sunflower seed right in his mouth. He has a heavy conical beak which is good for seed cracking or crushing these seeds.




Take a look at the raspberry colored head of the male. 




His breast, back, and rump are also raspberry colored. 




You may be able to see a slight crest on the head of the Purple Finch.




Below is a pic showing the House Finch, Goldfinch and Purple Finch. The House Finch and Purple Finch can be difficult to tell apart. You can see the Purple Finch male isn't really purple but has the raspberry head, breast, back and rump. The House Finch and Goldfinch pics were taken in January and the Purple Finch in February. 



I am so thankful to see the purple finch at my feeders. 

Thanks for stopping by to see the male Purple Finch - Judy.

Linking to:


Saturday's Critters @ Viewing Nature with Eileen on Saturdays
Camera Critters on Saturday
I'd Rather Be Birdin' on Saturday at noon

Outdoor Wednesday @ A Southern Daydreamer
Wild Bird Wednesday @ Paying Ready Attention Photo Gallery
Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods

Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have A Cup of Mrs. Olson
Thankful Thursday @ It's a Small Town Life
Little Things Thursday @ Random-osity

Friday Photo Journal @ Serendipity is Sweet

16 comments:

  1. So COOOOOL !!!! BEAUTIFUL !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, This is one bird I don't think I've ever seeen. The color is amazing and he is quite beautiful! It's great how you capture these bird images. Just awesome.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a gorgeous bird ~ wonderful photos ~ my favorite is the one where he looks like he is looking right into the camera!

    Happy Weekend to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This si true color so strange ours are a brown

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, you are lucky to see the Purple Finch. They are beautiful. I love all your cute finches. Great photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The Purple Finch is really beautiful!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love the sweet Purple Finches. Great captures!
    Thank you for stopping by. :)
    Have a great weekend!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...he looks sunburned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like he was dipped in a glass of red wine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy to see this visitor to your feeders...love the shots with the seeds in his mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spectacular! I have only seen House Finches and Goldfinches. I have often wondered why the lovely House Finch didn't get a better name!!! And I think you nailed it - the Purple Finch would be better called Raspberry Finch! (That is if I was running things!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous bird! I have never seen one before and your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow ...is he ever purple! what colour....... amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am impressed with these pics of the purple finch. I haven't seen one before! Thanks for linking up today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha, I thought you were making this up! A beautiful bird and one I've never seen.

    ReplyDelete