Yellowstone and A Day Trip

In my last post, we traveled to Big Sky, Montana, with dear friends. Today's story is a continuation of the story and our first day trip into Yellowstone National Park with beautiful scenery and the famous Old Faithful Geyser.

Since we were staying in Big Sky in our friends condo, the closest entrance to enter the park is at West Yellowstone (know as the West Entrance into the park). As most tourist do, we posed for a group picture at the West Entrance sign. A couple on a motorcycle stopped for pictures too and were kind enough to snap a picture for us. We did the same for them.



Firehole Canyon Drive is a two mile one-way drive through the beautiful canyon where the Firehole River flows. The road is lined with pine trees and is so scenic as you look at the river and the trees along the stretch. 

As you near the top of the road you see Firehole Falls, a 40 foot waterfall that the canyon is made of. I love seeing the falls no matter how many times I have seen it in the past. Shortly past the fall, there is a designated swimming area, water permitting (not to swift or high).

I always like to capture a wild plant and share with you. 
Any guesses on the name of this plant, I see small stickers and a beautiful purple bloom?

The Lower Falls of  the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone is one of the biggest attractions in the park.

Here's an enlarged photo of the falls.

Often as you drive through the park, you can see the buffalo, many times they are very close to your car and maybe even walking on the road but today we only saw them in the open area along the river but still amazing to see. We always take binoculars or a spotting scope.
The wild buffalo population in Yellowstone is about 4,200 as of 2012. Some say there are too many buffalo in Yellowstone and that there should only be around 4000 because of the ecological carrying capacity of Yellowstone's habitat. Because they migrate, they often cross the borders of the park and are hazed or slaughtered. Total Yellowstone buffalo killed is 7,189 since 1985. (facts from the Buffalo Field Companion)

Dragon's Mouth Springs is in the Mud Volcano area of the park. If you use your imagination a little, you can imagine the steam coming from the dragon's mouth.

The geyser basin and thermal feature areas of the park have board walks for your safety. 

Located in the Lake Region of the park,  Yellowstone Lake is the largest Alpine Lake in North America and is the biggest lake above 7,000 feet on the continent. We have a special spot that we like to picnic on the lake and there are only two picnic tables on the spot so we say a little prayer as we get close that one of the tables will be empty. It's just one of those breathtaking views that you could enjoy forever.

Kepler Cascades is a waterfall on the Firehole River and is located about 2.5 miles south of Old Faithful.

The Old Faithful Region has geysers and thermal basins and is home to one of the most famous geysers in the world, Old Faithful. People gather on the board walk around Old Faithful and wait for the geyser to erupt to around 184 feet. It erupts every 80-90 minutes.

I'll leave you with a gorgeous shot of Black Diamond Pool located in the Biscuit Basin Area. The area may not be as grand as Old Faith but I love the colors of this hot springs.

I think I have given you many highlights from our first day trip into Yellowstone. My next post will be our second day trip with an up-close experience with BEARS. - Judy.

Linking to:
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer

Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Home and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life 
Travel Photo Thursday at Budget Travelers Sandbox

Friday Daydreamin' at R We There Yet Mom

Oh the PLACES I've Been at The Tablescaper

Blue Monday at Smiling Sally




16 comments:

  1. We made this trip years ago. This has brought back such good memories. We were ooohhh and aaaahhh the whole time. Just a beautiful part of the country. Thanks for the memories.

    Madonna/aka/Ms. Lemon
    MakeMIneLemon

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to visit!! Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your photos! Looks like you had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Judy, what a fabulous post. I’ve never been to this part of our country and we really need to travel there, it’s so beautiful. Such spectacular scenery as only mother nature can provide. Thank you for sharing your trip.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my dream trips and near the top of my Bucket List!!! Your post makes me want to go RIGHT NOW!!! Your photos are beautiful and I want to thank you for sharing them with us. I'm going to pin your post so I can return for the information you provided.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow how impressive is this place and nature is still alive and well

    I'm inviting you to join us for Travel Photo Mondays, it runs the whole week starting on Mondays, come link up with us.


    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures of Yellowstone Park. You must be having a marvelous time. I hope to see Yellowstone someday myself. (I tried to post a comment earlier but I got a message about error on the page)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I mentioned on the previous post that I love Yellowstone and the Tetons. Seeing your photos really make me realize that I need to plan another trip there, when my husband retires (if he ever does!!). Love reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like Lady Luck was on your side when it came to picnicking. What a wonderful day you seemed to have had. I have only seen Yellowstone in the dead of winter - and it's quite a different sight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful location for a picnic! I'm in awe of Yellowstone, can't wait to visit.
    http://insidejourneys.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had absolutely no idea that many buffalo had been killed. Seems like such a pity. That's a wonderful lakeside picnic spot you found. I'll have to keep it in mind when we finally get to Yellowstone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to spend an entire week in Yellowstone. I'd love to do some hiking, see the geysers, waterfalls and wildlife. Looks like you had a beautiful day for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures! Visiting from Outdoor Wednesday

    Jocelyn @ http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous picnic spot! Yellowstone is really one of the most spectacular places on earth. I've been lucky to visit there a few times in my life and hope to visit some more. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing place to visit - I wish when I lived out west that my family had taken the opportunity to go. Such beautiful scenery! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your posts about Yellowstone have been wonderful -- fantastic photos! We haven't been since our children were, well.....children, as in 35+ years ago. Now you have me wanting to go back!

    ReplyDelete