Dried Hydrangea Wreath

At the end of the summer, I cut some hydrangea blooms to dry. They have been in my garage for a few months while I have been deciding what to do with them. I had visions of using them in my Christmas tree but that changed when I begin to think about using them in a Christmas wreath.


Since it was chilly and windy outside, I decided to bring the hydrangea bloom inside to work on the wreath. I sprayed them with hair spray then added a couple of coats of Glimmer Mist in a Limited Edition Color of Mallard. I am a crafter and scrapbooker so I had the Glimmer Mist and decided to give it a try on the hydrangea blooms. I didn't think the hydrangeas grabbed the color like I had hoped but it was worth a try. There is surely some spray that florists use that would have worked better.


Looks like there is more color on the towel than on the blooms. I tried to dry the blooms with my crafting heat tool but had to shake off the excess on the paper towels in the drying box. Some color is better than no color, right?


For the base of my wreath, I used an airy evergreen Christmas wreath that I had used in the past. I decided to fastened the wreath to my breadrack so it would be in place and not require any moving.

I tied on the first couple of blooms with wire but quickly decided I could just wrap the pine branches around the stems of the blooms. You can see a couple blooms added in the picture below.


I continued adding the blooms to the entire wreath to get the affect I was looking for. Looks like I need to add a few more to finish. You can see how the sun is shining through the windows on the wreath.



Next I made a few ribbon picks using some peacock blue ribbon tied to extra pieces of the stems of the hydrangea. Next, I added a glittered magnolia stems from Michael's and soon my wreath was finished. That more sun shinning on the right side of the wreath making a little glare on the wreath.


Wow that was a small project but was a bit messy. I had a really big mess on the floor to clean up. Hope you can stop back by to see my Aqua Christmas Mantel and Aqua Christmas Tablescape. Watch my sidebar for links - Judy.

PS: I don't think I will be able to store this wreath for next year, maybe I'll just remove the magnolia glittered stems and use it for Spring. It's so fragile.

Linking to:
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here on Thursday
Favorite Things Thursday at Katherine’s Corner
Kristen’s Creations for Share Your Creations on Thursday
Home and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life
Transformation Thursday at Shabby Creek Cottage



11 comments:

  1. Judy, your wreath is beautiful! The colors are perfect for your holiday decor. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wreath is gorgeous!!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful wreath. I have dried my hydrangea and arranged them in with artificial greenery in baskets beroe. I have to try this.
    http://www.tammyinwv.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wreath is so pretty. I keep saying every year, I will dry my hyrdrangeas. I forget or get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:51 PM

    I don't have a place for blue...but your wreath sure is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:51 PM

    I don't have a place for blue...but your wreath sure is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hydrangeas have been my favorite flower for as long as I can remember...your wreath is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...that wreath is gorgeous...Hydrangeas are my all time favorite!!....beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy, this wreath is gorgeous. I love the colors of the hydranhea and the ribbon. Just a stunner.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy, I lov the hydrangea wreath..very pretty! Thank you for linking to the Open House party and Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful wreath! I'd like to pin it to my wreath board directly from your site. I love everything you do!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete