Looking Out the Window: the American Goldfinch

Looking out my window today, I am so thrilled to see the goldfinches on our finch feeder. 




I so love to watch the goldfinches and have been feeding them for years. Even though we have moved three times since 2004, I faithfully feed them and use nyjer seed in the feeder. 


The underside down finch feeds are the ones I usually use. But I haven't found those feeders since we moved to Kentucky. Take a look at this next picture and notice the white markings on the goldfinch. See the black forehead, black wings and white markings, plus the white patches both above and beneath the tail. 



These guys certainly made my day today. 


Thanks for stopping by for another day of Life in Kentucky - Judy. 

Linking to:

Amaze Me Monday @ Dwellings
Met Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Mosaic Monday @ Lavendar Cottage
Show and Share @ Coastal Charm
Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods

Our World @ Our World Tuesday Meme
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life on Tuesday
The Scoop @ StoneGable Blog
You're Gonna Love It Tuesday @ Kathe With an E
Tweak It Tuesday @ Cozy Little House
Winter Blues Wednesday@ DIY by Design

Outdoor Wednesday @ A Southern Daydreamer
Wild Bird Wednesday @ Paying Ready Attention Gallery
Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern

the weekend retreat @ AKA Design on Thursdays
Favorite Things Thursday @ Katherine's Corner
Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home on Thursday
Simple & Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme 
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have A Cup of Mrs. Olson

The Bouquet of Talent Party @ Life on Lakeshore Drive - Saturday

Sunny Simple Sunday @ Sunny Simple Life 





13 comments:

  1. They are so pretty. I love watching the birds. We have a very large house bird feeder. It's amazing to see how many different birds visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching the goldfinches. They'll be leaving us soon and traveling to their breeding areas north of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, we don't see goldfinches all the time here. I've seen several at a time when they were at the feeders and I thought maybe they were migrating. Does nyger seed germinate and grow all in the yard? We usually just use sunflower seeds because they are so much easier to pull out of the yard.


    We'd love it if you'd join us at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful goldfinches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous pics of the the little goldfinch Judy. We use to get what I think are these birds but haven’t seen them in years. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy, I think it is great you have visited all fifty states! My husband and I would love to do that and we are slowly progressing. I seem to love to return to places I fall in love with rather than new places. Also, have to mention again how much I love how your kitchen looks, you and I must have very similar taste, love your hutch.
    Happy Day……….

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always glad to find a new blogger from Ky. We have goldfinches too and they seem to get more yellow as the warm weather returns. We use sunflower seed and sometime can hardly count all the birds in just the two feeders we have. Looking forward to visiting again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just started using a bird feeder. So far all I've seen is a Song Sparrow. Hopefully spring will bring more visitors. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are so pretty! We just put up a bird feeder a few weeks ago and I am really enjoying watching the birds everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why these cute guys make your day. They'd make mine, too. I like their chartreuse coloring. I also like your yellow feeder. Has me wanting a feeder that color, too.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Judy..I do love these little birds and they are so cheery sounding.. I have some upsidedown thistle feeders too. I think that Duncraft and Amazon would have them...Michelle

    ReplyDelete