Looking Out the Window: The Northern Mockingbird

As I was looking out, I was excited to see a bird that I hadn't seen visiting before. A Northern Mockingbird was standing on my front sidewalk. Oh I couldn't get to the camera quick enough thinking he would be gone when I got back. But to my surprise, he was waiting for me. 



I think he was posing for my pictures. Snapping as fast as I could, he just turned his head a little and allowed me to keep taking his picture. 


Soon, I felt like he was looking me straight in the eye. I read he has a reddish brown eye.


I zoomed in on one of my photos to see if I could really see the reddish brown eye. Take a look below.



I read here that Mockingbirds have small heads, a long, thin bill, and long legs. 


Think I need to start looking out the window in the front yard more often. 



The following day, the mockingbird was sitting in the birch trees off of my deck in the backyard. 



Thanks for stopping by for another day of Life in Kentucky - Judy. 


Linking to: 

Amaze Me Monday @ Dwellings
Met Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Mosaic Monday @ Lavendar Cottage
Show and Share @ Coastal Charm
Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods

Our World @ Our World Tuesday Meme
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life on Tuesday
The Scoop @ StoneGable Blog
You're Gonna Love It Tuesday @ Kathe With an E


Outdoor Wednesday @ A Southern Daydreamer
Wild Bird Wednesday @ Paying Ready Attention Gallery
Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern


Favorite Things Thursday @ Katherine's Corner
Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life

Simple & Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme
Foodie Friday & Everything Else @ Rattlebridge Farm 
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have A Cup of Mrs. Olson

Saturday's Critters @ Viewing Nature with Eileen
The Bird De'Pot @ I'd Rather Be Birdin
The Bouquet of Talent Party @ Life on Lakeshore Drive - Saturday
Sunny Simple Sunday @ Sunny Simple Life on Saturday


17 comments:

  1. Oh how I love mockingbirds! They are sassy and they sing all day (and sometimes all night) long. They are the state bird of Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shots....thanks for sharing....enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute picture! I love the birds! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Judy! Great series on the Mockingbird. I love listening to their song and sounds. Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have mockingbirds here in Florida, but they never pose that beautifully! (Yours must have flown to Kentucky because he heard there was a great portrait photographer there!). I love waking up to their song this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen that bird in our yard before but didn't realize it was a Mockingbird!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice series of shots through the window.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We see a lot of Mockingbirds, but I love every sighting! I'm never tired of them.
    Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to hear Mockingbirds. Their sounds just makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When he realized he was being photographed, he really gave you his attention. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mockingbird is a favorite for me. I love watching them in the spring. We have a lot of them nesting in the roses here and they are very territorial, protecting their offspring from other birds and especially cats that wander through the yard. Great photos Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good that he stayed around long enough for you to get the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a birdy surprise who then sticks around for great photos...Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Judy, I just wanted to stop back and say thank you for linking up your post on the Mockingbird. Great photos.
    Happy Mother's Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Y'all!

    Great "Mocker" photos. Love to listen to them sing; hate their habit of perchin' in the tree top where, sooner or later, a hawk turns them into supper. It's a sad mornin' when their song goes silent.

    Y'all come on by,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! Nice captures.Your photos are very interesting. You are very lucky that you can watch this bird from your house. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete