Rollin' On the River

We were recently in Southern Illinois visiting my Dad. We had our daughter and grandsons with us and took them to Cairo, Illinois, to see the Ohio River and the barges.


You can also see the bridge that connects Illinois and Kentucky. Illinois is on the right side of the river and Kentucky is on the left.

My husband and I grew up about 10 miles from here so we kind of take it for granite but out grandsons thought seeing the water and the barges was a thrill. My oldest grandson is just about 5 and asked so many questions about the barges. Where are they going? What is on the barges? What is they come apart? Oh the imagination of a young mind, you have to love their inquisitiveness.


Just a little further south, maybe a quarter of a mile, is where is Ohio River meets the Mississippi River.

We were on our way over to a friend's historic mansion in Cairo. I took picture of his garden to share with you in another post. I'll give you one quick picture so maybe you will come back to see the rest of the garden.


Linking to:

Smiling Sally for Blue Monday
Mary at Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Outdoor Wednesday
Judy at DIY by Design 
Paula and Patti at Ivy and Elephants for What’s It Wednesday
Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday


11 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, Thank You for sharing them with us!

    I'm having my very first blog giveaway and would be delighted to have you stop by. Have a wonderful day!

    (hugs)
    Aledia @ Plum Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post! I didn't realize that river was so wide...we don't have those kinds of rivers in our area...I love the water, so that would be great to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have relatives that live in Southern IL and enjoy going down to visit. It is a beautiful area - especially like Shawnee National Forest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the openness and flatness of your river landscape strikes me as unfamiliar but intriguing, as my coastal Massachusetts is so very different...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny how kids are just enthralled with things like that, Judy. My soon-to-be 2 year old granddaughter loves the small planes that take off and land near where we both live. She hears them and looks up with a "Wowwwwww".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, happy blue Monday!

    Come and see my BLUE when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is a lovely river and bridge. that's a long barge---i wonder, too, what is the cargo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bridge....I know the boys were really excited to see the barge...it is quite a big one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for letting us enjoy the tour of the river and barges with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice photos! My Mom grew up along the Ohio River in southern Ohio and I love seeing pics of it. Thanks for sharing!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's quite a barge. My husband grew up in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete