Lantern Festival

We were in St. Louis, MO, visiting special old friends. The Missouri Botanical Garden was holding the "The Lantern Festival: Art by Day, Magic by Night." So while the three husbands went for a bit of beverages, the three women went to the Botanical Garden to see the evening Lantern Festival. Wow, it was awesome so come follow along the walking tour with us. The pictures are beautiful and I'll share some interesting facts about the sets. 


This was the Welcoming Dragon that greeted us as we approached The Botanical Garden entrance. There were thousands of people there so you will see other visitors in my images.

The admission fee was regularly $25 a person, but one couple lives across the river from St. Louis and is a member of The Botanical Garden so we got reduced tickets of $15.00 and it was worth every dime. We were given guide books so my information is from the guide.

This set is called Dragon Embraces the Pillars. Chinese dragons are strongly associated with water in popular belief. They are believed to be the rulers of moving bodies of water, such as waterfalls, rivers, or seas. 

The lotus flower symbolizes ultimate purity and perfection to the Chinese because it rises untainted and beautiful from the mud.




This lovely  statue was sharing the water  with the Lotus Flowers.


This is the Lotus Ponds Lantern. Sometimes called the Sacred Lotus, this flower often symbolizes elegance, beauty, perfection, purity, and grace.


This set is called Porcelain Dragon. There is a dragon on each side of the flower. I'll show you several images of the dragons and wait till you read what the dragons are made from. 
In China, 2012 is the Year of the Dragon, and many of the lantern sets depict this mythical creature. Did you also know that China was the birthplace of porcelain making?
Are you looking really close at the details of  the dragon?
Ok, one more clue to what the dragon is made of!
There are porcelain platters, plates, cups, and saucers wired together to form these two dragons. The installation consisted of more than 40,000 individual pieces of porcelain tied together using ancient techniques. Now you will probably want to scroll up again and look at the images a second time.


This is an evening tour, so the sun is setting.


The following set is the Sail Boat. Ancient Chinese sailing vessels, known as junks, are still in use today. Although seafaring junks are made of wood and bamboo, this vessel is made from plastic bottles and follows the 3 R's of sustainability: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. The Missouri Botanical Garden says it Reduced the number of plastic bottles used in the St. Louis area by collecting used plastic bottles for the set and they will be Recycled at the end of the exhibit. About 4,600 bottles were used to make the set.


The next set is the Moonlit Pathway. The symbolic significance of moons and stars has been traced to Chinese coins from approximately 2,000 years ago. The two women on the left are my two friends on the tour with me.
The guide says this moonlit pathway evokes a heavenly sky, but also wealth, power, and abundance as you pass beneath the canopy of stars and moons.


Panda's Paradise was next. This bear is native to central-western and southwestern China. Did you know that 99% of the panda's diet is bamboo?

The First Emperor's Quest for Immortality set.

Double Seventh Festival set.


The Flying Apsaras set. Here Flying Apsaras, sometimes referred to as feitian in Chinese, are flying celestial beings whose images are mostly found in cave murals.




The Four-Faced Buddha set.


The Butterfly Lovers set is a "Romeo and Juliet" tale passed down in China for well over 1,000 years.


The last set I'll show is the Heavenly Temple. Heaven and Earth symbolically meet in the Heavenly Temple.


Wow, what a tour this was at the Missouri Botanical Garden! Hope you enjoyed it, I know it was a bit long - Judy.


Note: The Garden is beautiful all year long, I have visited in at least three seasons. It is well worth a visit.


Linking to:
The Dedicated House on Monday
Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage 
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
Blue Monday at Smiling Sally 
Meet Me Monday at You're Talking Too Much


Your Cozy Home Party  at Cozy Home Scenes on Tuesday
Table Top Tuesday  at A Stroll Thru Life on Tuesday On


Judy at DIY by Design for Swing Into Spring
Paula and Patti at Ivy and Elephants for What’s It Wednesday
White Wednesday at Faded Charm

Tablescape Thursday  at Between Naps on the Porch
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here on Thursday
Favorite Things Thursday at Katherine’s Corner
Home and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life
Kristen’s Creations for Share Your Creations on Thursday

Feathered Nest Friday at the French Country Cottage
Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence


Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound

Seasonal Sunday at The Tablescaper
Scenic Sunday 


44 comments:

  1. OH HOW AWWESOME!!!!

    What an amazing post= thanks so much for sharing this wonderment, Judy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great festival! Looks like a lot of fun.

    Wonderful to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:44 PM

    Omigosh, I would have absolutely loved this....such a bit of magic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful event and festivities! SO colorful. I love the dragon made out of plates, so many plates! I can imagine how long it took to create that..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a spectacular festival~ not to be missed! I can only imagine how wonderful it was to see in person...the illumination, lotus flowers and that DRAGON! The porcelain PLATES~ how fantastic and what a feat of engineering! LOVE it~ thanks for taking me along :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Thank you for sharing this visit. It was truly a treat, and needless to say this plate addict adored that dragon. Truly a clever idea. I hope it will be preserved and tour around to other gardens. This is an event I would have enjoyed very much. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing exhibit! Love that you took us along with you/1 The dragon is truly stunning! I love Botanical Gardens and visit them where ever I can. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. GORGEOUS!!!! Especially the dragon made of plates!!!! I have never attended this festival (I really don't get out much!), but it looks like something worth seeing!!! Beautiful! So glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous images! The colors are just stunning! I can only imagine how awesome it is to see it all in person! This looks like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a spectacular display! It must have been sheer magic to have been their in person. Thank you for sharing this event with us.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun and interesting! It's always great to be awed like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking me along with you. What a super trip! I loved the blue trimmed platter dragon!

    Happy Blue Monday, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Felt like I was there too! Beautiful, vibrant pictures! Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exquisite displays!


    PS. Would you mind following my new blog, where my BLUE post is? Have a great start of the week and thanks in advance for following!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow Lantern festival is my favorite. I love the colors and the different shapes and forms. ^_^ Awesome shots!

    Kim,USA

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an amazing post! Thank you for sharing. The porcelain dragon is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post was so amazing! The photos are gorgeous and so colorful! I love the lily pads! I like the story you tell. Sigh
    Beautiful post and have a terrific week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this fabulous walking tour!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! That's lovely! I bet it was really magical at night. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun fieldtrip! So much to take in. This goes on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing with all the lights and the designs..

    Visiting for Blue Monday- hope you can stop by..

    http://www.cassandrasminicorner.com/2012/06/flamingo-balloon-blues.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi darling, what an incredible place so close to home and I've never been. Certainly going to put it on the bucket list of things to do... I did guess the dragon was made out of plates. :-)
    Had no idea there were 40,000 of them... wow!!! Thanks so much for sharing. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an amazing lantern festival, I would really have loved to have been there. We went to one in China a few years ago but it was very small in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know we would love to see this Judy. It's been awhile since we were at MoBot. Your photos are wonderful. You really captured the essence of this event.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Judy how beautiful and unique. The ceramic china dragon is amazing. I adore all of the color.

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    2012 Artists Series

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just magical!

    Visiting from What's It Wednesday.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  27. that almost looks Mythical.. wow , love it.
    I have 2 dragon statues placed strategically in my living room for positive chi and good feng shui.. it works~!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous photos and the gardens are lovely. The colors are so vivid...I so appreciate you sharing this outing with us. Love the lotus.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is all so beautiful! The lotus flowers are just gorgeous! Thank you for taking us on this colorful adventure!

    I didn't know there was a statue of me in St. Louis!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Judy,

    What a beautiful outing! I've never heard of such a festival before. Such vibrant colours and shapes. What a lovely treat. Also, thanks for dropping by today. Hope to see you again soon!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's amazing! I would have loved to go on that tour.

    ReplyDelete
  32. One photo after another just exploded with color and creativity! That is really amazing. I need to send this link to a friend who lives in St. Louis to see if she has seen this.
    Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh wow, how amazing this is!! I think I'm in awe of all I've seen in your fabulous images my dear friend. The colors of all the images popping up like an explotion is beyond words. Thanks for sharing this incredible post. I am going to tell my cousins and aunt in St. Louis so they can go if they haven't! Thanks for your lovely visit, it makes me very happy. Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your photos are amazing. I am sure the vibrancy of the colors was even more intense in person. I loved all the factual tidbits.. The dragons were totally amazing.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Judy,
    what a special delight you share with us. I love every item of this exhibition. Of course first the porcelain dragons. It is alltogether a very colorful feast for all senses. I also love your aqua and lime tablescape. Thank you very much for this amazing posts and for the given comment on my blog.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am here via Aiken's house and garden... I was so excited to see your post. I lived in St.Louis for over 30 years--grew up there and visited the MO Botanical Gardens many times, I would often go there when my children were in school just to relax! It is a beautiful place, I would reccomend it to anyone who visits the area. I won't make the Lantern Show, but your post made it the next best thing! Thank you sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  37. How pretty! The colors are fantastic. What a wonderful little excursion. My favorite was the cute statue. Thank you for sharing. I would love it if you would share this post at my Make it Pretty Monday link party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/ Wishing you a grand weekend! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, Judy - what a treat! I was so excited to see how you managed to show us dishes! That dragon made from porcelain plates is something. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow!! How cool! What a great event. Figures you would be able to seek out the only dragon ever made out of dishes!!! Thanks so much for sharing, I found it facinating!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow that is wonderful.Thank You .I'm sure I would never had been able to see it.
    Hope you have a good time there Happy PS

    ReplyDelete
  41. Cool dragons, so fancy!

    Visiting for Pink Saturday- hope you can stop by..

    http://www.sweetposh.info/2012/06/pink-swimsuit.html

    ReplyDelete
  42. What an amazing festival! This must have been such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  43. The dragons were amazing, but my favorite was definitely the pandas. I loved all the beauty around you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow! What an amazingly gorgeous festival! I am so glad you were able to go - at such a deal and to be able to share with us! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete