The Prothonotary Warbler

I added a new bird siting (new to me) this past weekend. We were at Irvin Cobb Marina on Kentucky Lake in Western Kentucky where we were going to boat with family. While sitting on the dock, this golden bird caught my eye as he flew to a bird house hanging from a pole.


At first his bright yellow color made me think he was a goldfinch. As I edged closer trying to get a few snaps of him (on my iPhone), I could see his beak better and knew it wasn't a goldfinch. The finch has a conical shaped bill to crack open seeds; but not this bird. His beak was the slender beak of a warbler. 


I knew he was a warbler but no clue which one. I did note his beady black eye, blue-gray wings, and the white coloring under his tail.


Thankfully, one of the other boaters on the dock knew exactly what kind of warbler he was. 


Siting this Prothonotary Warbler just made my day. I love boating on the lake, but bird watching always comes into the picture for me.


Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at the Prothonotary Warbler - Judy.

Linking to:


Thankful Thursday @ It's a Small Town Life

Little Things Thursday @ Random-osity

Friday Photo Journal @ Serendipity is Sweet

Pink Saturday @ How Sweet the Sound

Saturday's Critters @ Viewing Nature with Eileen on Saturdays 

Camera Critters on Saturday


Mosaic Monday @ Letting Go of the Bay Leaf

Busy Monday @ A Pinch of Joy



MET Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch

My Corner of the World @ Photographing New Zealand on Wednesday

Wild Bird Wednesday @ Paying Ready Attention




8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What an amazing sighting! One time I thought I saw one and posted it on my blog and the birders came out from everywhere to let me know I was wrong! hahaha! But I was so sure I had seen one because it had lots of yellow. Your photos really show what one looks like though. I'm SO jealous! heehee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!!! It really does look like a goldfinch (hey, Finch Rest here, haha) that just needed a nose job, haha.

    Thanks so much for teaching us all about birds. There are so many things I have learned by reading your blog and seeing your amazing photos.

    Hope you enjoy the lake. Sounds heavenly in this heat to go boating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to add a new bird to your list!
    He is very handsome! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look like a Goldfinch! I am impressed with your knowledge of birds. I know mostly feeder birds. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a vibrant yellow warbler. Great shots
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy - it is always so exciting to add a new bird to our list! Congrats on sighting this glorious warbler for yours! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your day sounds heavenly Judy! Boating with family, and a new (and beautiful) bird .... everything I love right there, family, water and birds,!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Congrats on your sighting. The Prothonotary Warbler is beautiful. Great shots from your phone.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete