Barns, Birds and Bloom - Wk 8

Here's another week of barns, birds, and blooms for you to enjoy.


The featured barn, this time, is a metal barn with lots of rust. 



It looks like most of the pieces of metal are original to the barn. The front does seem to have more rust than the side so who knows if some pieces have been replaced or if it is just the direction that the barn faces and the exposure to wind and moisture.



I kind of like the rust, it shows the barn has weathered the storms, humidity, and moisture in our area of Kentucky. The collage below shows this barn has more windows and roof ventilation.


For blooms, the crepe myrtles in my yard have been putting on a show and I just love it. This crepe is on the edge of our property line and has been covered in blooms.



We have two crepe myrtles in our front bed next to the road. Did you know that Japanese Beetles just love crepes. 



We saw them flying around our crepes then eating on them. It is just an invasion! We started spraying immediately with Sevin. I sprayed it right on the beetles.



It took several sprayings and then again after raining. You can see the damage in the image below. 



I pretty much spray everything with Sevin to help keep the bugs away. 

Are you familiar with Limelight Hydrangea? I have been seeing their gorgeous blooms all around my area so I know they do well here. While I was at a local nursery, I saw some "Little Limes" and decided to purchase one and give it a try. I took a few pics before I planted it to share with you.



Don't you just love every little petal! It only gets about 4-5 feet high so it should be very manageable. 




It's pretty small this year so we will see how it does over the winter and hope for gorgeous blooms next summer. The nursery said it blooms on new growth. I've got to get it mulched very soon.



I've planted two mophead hydrangea this year too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!


On to birds now. I'm sharing another owl that I photographed in the backyard area of The Nature Station at Land Between the Lakes. You may remember from a previous post, these animals have either been injured, orphaned, or have lost their natural fear of humans. This owl is the Barred Owl



Isn't it just breathtaking?  Those eyes!! His hooting call is "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you-all? Now check out his brown-and-white stripped plumage. 



Wasn't the Barred Owl just amazing?


That's about it for this post, so thanks for stopping by for another day of Life in Kentucky - Judy.

Linking to:


Amaze Me Monday @ Dwellings
Met Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Mosaic Monday @ Normandy Life on Sunday evening
Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods on Monday
ABC Wednesday on Monday

Our World @ Our World Tuesday Meme
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life on Tuesday
The Scoop @ StoneGable Blog
You're Gonna Love It Tuesday @ Kathe With an E
Wednesday Around the World @ Photographing New Zealand

Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern on Tuesday evening

Outdoor Wednesday @ A Southern Daydreamer
Wild Bird Wednesday @ Paying Ready Attention Gallery
Nature Notes @ Rambling Woods
Floyd Family Homestead on Wednesday

Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have A Cup of Mrs. Olson on Wed. evenings 
Share Your Style Link Party @ 21 Rosemary Lane on Wed. evenings

Share Your Style Link Party @ The Essence of Home on Thursday evening
Simple & Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme

Home and Garden Thursday @ A Delightsome Life
Simple & Sweet Fridays @ Rooted in Thyme on Wednesday evening
Share Your Cup Thursday @ Have A Cup of Mrs. Olson
Foodie Friday & Everything Else @ Rattlebridge Farm on Thursday evening

Photo Friday @ Pierced Wonderings
Skywatch Friday @ Skyley


Saturday's Critters @ Viewing Nature with Eileen on Saturday
Camera Critters on Saturday
I'd Rather Be Birdin' on Saturday at noon

Tom's Barn Collective @ The Backroad Traveler on Sunday
Table It Link Party @ Life and Linda
Inspiration Monday @ Our Southern Home
Dishing It and Digging It @ Rustic & Refined on Sundays







19 comments:

  1. Hello, I love the crepe myrtle and the hydrangea! Gorgeous blooms! Awesome shots of the Barred Owl. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy,
    Love your little hydrangea - gorgeous colour, sorry to hear about the beetle infestation your poor crepe myrtle looks so bedraggled! The Barrel Owl looks so majestic, what a wise old bird he is.
    Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday and have a great week.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning, Judy,

    Love your hydrangeas and sorry about the beetles on your crepes. I like creeps ... except when they drop their blooms and leaves -- always seems to land in the pond! Ha! There is something very peaceful about an old barn -- such tales they could tell. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crepe myrtles are so pretty. Too bad the Japanese Beetles like them so well. I do love hydrangeas and those lime lights are beautiful. I have blue and pink mopheads in my garden - they are so easy to care for and bloom so faithfully. The owl is very striking with his intent stare. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't always a fan of rust, now I have my have my share of rusty pieces that I do love. I like how the old barn shows it's age. Your crepes are a beautiful color, we call it watermelon here. We have white throughout our yard but I think I would love to add color to the gardens this fall and plant them along the side of the yard. Love the new plant, let us know how it does. The owl is stunning!
    Have a great week.........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy, Love the owl. The pink flowers are wonderful, too bad about the bugs. The barn is lovely. Thanks for sharing. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy,
    I love the lime hydrangeas, the barn, the barn owl and the crepes myrtle. Lovely, lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hydrangeas and am amassing a small collection of them - they are as dependable as lilacs, but the blooms last so much longer. I would like to find a limelight now as well!
    I don't think I've ever seen a crepe myrtle but it looks gorgeous. I wonder if it would grow up here.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the owl....I don't have many of those beetles and I am convinced that when they are slugs that the skunk and other animals eat the larva. I have only seen one this year ...I can't be around any pesticides as my neurologist warned me that the neurotoxins in them are bad for me too.....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Judy, your owl photos are awesome. Lovely post and flowers. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy,
    I'm guessing, but I'd say your barn is a Tobacco Barn!
    Especially, with the venting windows at the top for ventilation!
    Beautiful blooms!
    Hoping you amazing results with your hydrangea, dear friend!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pictures of flowers are beautiful.
    Greetings from distant Polish.
    Monika B.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello!:) Lovely Hydrangeas and Crepe Myrtles images, except for the damaged one,..what a shame. The Owl is very beautiful, and your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are two resident barred owls in the area of Pollywog Ponds near our city [in the woods] and I always enjoy seeing them when I can. I just posted on my personal blog about Pollywog Ponds and how the drought is showing its mean streak!!

    Loved your photos of the owl!!!

    And your crepe myrtle images are extraordinary!! As are the barn photos.

    Thank you, kindly, Judy, for stopping by I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend to add this post to the linking tool. It's always appreciated by us birders and nature lovers!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never seen a metal barn quite like this. It is really interesting...especially that vent up at the roofline. It could use some rustolium an a couple of coats of good paint and then it would be in ship shape. Your owl photos are wonderful and the flowers in your garden beautiful. Love all of that vivid color. Hope you have a lovely week. genie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just returned from southern Ohio, across the river from West Virginia...man was it HOT! This old boy was suffering. Thanks for joining The Barn Collective, hurry on back now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing Barred Owl! Beautiful shots! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE crepe myrtles! I didn't know Japanese Beetles would get after them so badly. Love the hydrangea too. And an interesting barn as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos area beautiful, Judy! I love the owls so much. We have Great Horned Owls that we hear often but we don't see them that much.

    ReplyDelete