Hummingbird Moths in the Garden

 Have you seen this guy flying around in your garden?




For a second, you might have asked yourself if it was a bird? Or a bug?





It looks kind of like a bumble bee.







Yet, it acts like a hummingbird because it hovers, buzzes, and flies like a hummingbird.




It is a hummingbird moth. This fast hummingbird moth beats its clear wings up to 70 beats per second. It can fly up to 12 mph.




If you look closely, you can see it has a long tongue-like proboscis that rolls out of its coiled tub to reach the nectar deep inside flowers. Its tongue is about double the length of its body. source





You might be thinking, this guy can't be a moth because it is flying around in the daytime, and we know that moths fly at night. At least that is what I was thinking when I saw him in my gardens. I read they actively feed on flower nectar in the daytime. 




I hope to see the Hummingbird Moth (Clear Wing Moth) in my garden again and get more pics. 


I would love to know if you have seen the Hummingbird Moth in your gardens.


Linking to:


Saturday Sparks @ Pieced Pastimes on Friday

Pink Saturday @ How Sweet the Sound on Friday

Garden Affair @ Jaipur Garden

Saturday's Critters @ Viewing Nature with Eileen on Saturday

Bird DePot @ I'd Rather Be Birding 

Mosaic Monday @ Letting Go of the Bay Leaf on Sunday

Sunday Sunshine Blog @ Ridge Haven Homestead on Sunday

Love Your Creativity Link Party @ Life and Linda on Sunday at 2pm

Sundays on Silverado @ The House on Silverado

Inspire Me Monday @ Create With Joy on Sunday

MET Monday @ BNOTP


Nature Notes on Monday

OMHG Wonderful Wednesday on Monday

All About Home @ Follow the Yellow Brick Home and Common Ground on Monday at 6 pm

Through My Lens on Monday

Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life

Tuesdays With A Twist @ God's Growing Garden,  Stone Cottage Adventures

Pictorial Tuesday @ Peabea Photos on Tuesday

Tuesday Turn About @ My Wee Abode at 6 pm

Creative Muster @ Fluster Buster on Tuesday at 6 pm

Wonderful Wednesday @ Ducks in a Row on Tuesday evening

Karins Kottage Linky Party @ Karins Kottage on Wednesday am

Wild Bird Wednesday @ Paying Ready Attention on Wednesday am

My Corner of the World @ Photographing New Zealand on Wednesday

Share Your Style @ French Ethereal on Wednesday at 6 pm

Thankful Thursday @ It's a Small Town Life

Thinking Out Loud Thursday @ Penney's Passion on Wednesday

Tablescape Thursday @ Between Naps on the Porch

Little Things Thursday @ Random-osity

Thursday Favorite Things @ Katherine's Corner

Grace at Home @ The Charm of Home on Thursday

FLORAL FRIDAY FOTOS on Thursday 

Funtastic Link Party @ Two Chicks and A Mom on Thursday 9pm 

Fabulous Link Party @ Peacock Ridge Farm, Living Large in a Small House, South House Designs, & Vintage Home Designs on Friday

Friendship Friday Blog Hop @ Create With Joy

Floral Bliss on Friday

Friday Features Link Party @ Penny's Passion

Fabulous Friday Link Party @ South House Designs

A Morning Cup of Joe @ The Cottage Market on Friday

Farm House Friday @ County Road 407

Friday With Friends @ My Hubbard Home

Saturday Sparks @ Pieced Pastimes on Friday








18 comments:

  1. Hello,
    The flowers and hummingbird moths are beautiful. Lovely captures. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hummingbird moth is one of the neatest things you can see on flowers. And they can be hard to photograph. This one is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hummingbird moth! We have cabbage moths in the daytime, too. The 'tongue' is called the proboscis, I had to look up the spelling, sigh. I don't know if you care, but I did some research a few years back. You can see my moths there. They are so varied and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I have heard of hummingbird moths, but have never seen one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen one but have heard f them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos!
    I have seen Hummingbird Moths here in the past but have not seen one yet this year.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really interesting dear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting photos! I don't think I have ever seen one.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. great photos - I don't think I've seen one but of course I could have thought it was a hummingbird - those I see

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Judy! Nice job capturing this moth. I only saw one once in my garden. I blogged about it too cuz I couldn't even believe my eyes. My hubs with his amazing dark-eyed vision spotted it first. They are the weirdest things! We had to lose our butterfly bush it was on as it grew out of control where we had it. Well done. Hope you are well. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:15 PM

    Love the images. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:47 AM

    Yes saw one in yard in Slidell, Louisiana and tried to figure out what it was. Now I know. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy - yes, I have seen these in my garden here in Montana. Truly amazing creatures. The first time I ever saw one was in Corsica, and I did a double-take. Was it a hummingbird? Too small. A moth? But they don't fly like that ... Then I learned about the hummingbird moth! Thanks for your third link to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:32 AM

    Oh nice. I have only seen two Hummingbird moths, and they were gray.
    Love this colourful one. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! They sort of look like a giant bee dressed in those colours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually think your bumble bee is a carpenter bee. All the other beautiful photos are the hummingbird moth. I haven't seen one in years. I think it's more like one has to be in the right place at the right time, and you definitely were in the right place. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes ! I have seen this hovering over flowers and they make a whizzing sound while hovering on flowers. Thanks for sharing with Garden Affair.

    ReplyDelete